Updating the PAIA Manual
The course will provide participants with an understanding of the legislative requirements for preparing a PAIA manual in accordance with both the Promotion of Access to Information Act and the Protection of Personal Information Act. On completion of his seminar, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the PAIA Act and its role in the protection of personal information.
- Articulate the required contents of the PAIA manual
- Describe the role and responsibilities of the head of a private body or Information Officer of a public body to make a PAIA manual available.
- Describe the role and responsibilities of the information officer in preparing a PAIA manual.
- Communicate the importance of the PAIA manual in ensuring transparency with the data subjects.
Participants will learn through discussion and practical examples how to prepare a PAIA manual in accordance with the requirements for lawfully processing personal information.
This seminar includes topics about:
The purpose of the PAIA manual
The PAIA manual, privacy notices and privacy policies
The role and responsibility of the head of a private body (or information officer of a public body) to make the PAIA manual available
Key content topics for the PAIA manual
Gathering background information about the processing of personal information
Establishing an IT legal register
Communicating the “purpose” for processing personal information together with descriptions of the categories of data subjects and of the related information or categories of information
Crafting business process descriptions and communicating the purpose for processing personal information
Being transparent with the data subjects about the processing of their personal information
Describing the information security measures to be implemented by the responsible party to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the information being processed
Why avoiding doubt that could exist regarding the lawfulness of processing personal information is important.