POPIA: Awareness for the organisation’s Staff
Making staff aware of the provisions of the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), regulations made in terms of the Act, codes of conduct, and/or information obtained from the Regulator is a key requirement of the regulations relating to the protection of personal information. Therefore it is important that all staff are provided with the knowledge they need to fulfil the obligations of the Act.
This course will provide staff with a general understanding of the conditions for the lawful processing of personal information as defined in POPIA and the obligations contained in the regulations issued by the Information Regulator. A test is available at the end of the course for staff to demonstrate their understanding. The test can be retaken until they pass to ensure they understand the Act, its regulations and their organisation’s compliance obligations.
This course is designed for general staff who handle personal information as part of their responsibilities. It provides a good foundation on the rights of data subjects, conditions for processing personal information, data protection roles, responsibilities and processes required by POPIA and its regulations.
Participants will develop a general understanding of the conditions for the lawful processing of personal Information. On completion of this seminar, participants will:
- Better understand their organisation's statutory obligations and general requirements for the protection of personal information
- Articulate the importance of protecting the rights of data subjects
- Communicate the key aspects of the Protection of Personal Information Act
- Clarify the roles and responsibilities of all parties required to be involved in the protection of personal information
- Understand the processes that enable data subjects to exercise their constitutional right to privacy.
Participants will gain a general understanding of the Protection of Personal Information Act and its impact on public and private bodies. Participants will learn about the rights of data subjects and how these must be enabled, implemented, monitored and maintained.
This course will cover:
- privacy rights of data subjects
- conditions for the lawful processing of personal information
- handling data subject requests
- working with the organisation's information officer.